10175. Therefore those who take delight in adulteries can no longer receive any good and truth from heaven. From this it is that those who have taken delight in adulteries, afterward make light of and also at heart deny the things of the church and of heaven. The reason of this is that the love of adultery is from the marriage of evil and falsity, which is the infernal marriage.
1. And thou shalt make an altar for the burning of incense; of shittim wood shalt thou make it.
2. A cubit the length thereof, and a cubit the breadth thereof; foursquare shall it be; and two cubits the height thereof; out of it shall be its horns.
3. And thou shalt overlay it with pure gold, its roof and its walls round about, and its horns; and thou shalt make for it a border of gold round about.
4. And thou shalt make for it two rings of gold from under its border, upon its two ribs; upon its two sides shalt thou make them; and it shall be for receptacles for the staves, to carry it in them.
5. And thou shalt make the staves of shittim wood, and shalt overlay them with gold.
6. And thou shalt put it before the veil that is over the ark of the Testimony, before the propitiatory that is over the Testimony, whither I will come to meet thee.
7. And Aaron shall burn thereon incense of spices morning by morning; in dressing the lamps he shall burn it.
8. And when Aaron maketh the lamps to go up between the evenings, he shall burn it, a continual incense before Jehovah to your generations.
9. Ye shall not make strange incense go up upon it, nor a burnt-offering, nor a meat-offering; and ye shall pour no drink-offering upon it.
10. And Aaron shall make expiation upon the horns of it once in the year, from the blood of the sin-offering of expiations; once in the year he shall make expiation upon it to your generations; a holy of holies is this to Jehovah.
11. And Jehovah spoke unto Moses, saying,
12. When thou shalt take up the sum of the sons of Israel, as to those who are numbered of them, then they shall give everyone an expiation of his soul to Jehovah in numbering them, that there be no plague in them in numbering them.
13. This they shall give, everyone that passeth over upon those who are numbered, half a shekel, in the shekel of holiness, a shekel of twenty gerahs, the half of a shekel an uplifting to Jehovah.
14. Everyone that passeth over upon those who are numbered, from a son of twenty years and upward, shall give an uplifting to Jehovah.
15. The rich shall not give more, and the poor shall not give less, from the half of the shekel, to give an uplifting to Jehovah, to make expiation upon your souls.
16. And thou shalt take the silver of expiations from among the sons of Israel, and thou shalt give it for the work of the Tent of meeting; and it shall be to the sons of Israel for a memorial before Jehovah, to make expiation upon your souls.
17. And Jehovah spoke unto Moses, saying,
18. And thou shalt make a laver of brass, and its base of brass, for washing; and thou shalt put it between the Tent of meeting and the altar, and thou shalt put waters therein.
19. And Aaron and his sons shall wash from it their hands and their feet.
20. When they enter into the Tent of meeting they shall wash with waters, that they die not; or when they come near unto the altar to minister, to burn a fire-offering to Jehovah.
21. And they shall wash their hands and their feet, that they die not; and it shall be to them a statute of an age, to him and to his seed, to their generations.
22. And Jehovah spoke unto Moses, saying,
23. And do thou take to thee chief spices, best myrrh five hundred, and aromatic cinnamon the half thereof, two hundred and fifty, and aromatic calamus two hundred and fifty;
24. And cassia five hundred, in the shekel of holiness; and oil of olive a hin.
25. And thou shalt make it an oil of anointing of holiness, an ointment of ointment, the work of a perfumer, it shall be an oil of anointing of holiness.
26. And thou shalt anoint with it the Tent of meeting, and the ark of the Testimony:
27. And the table and all the vessels thereof, and the lampstand and the vessels thereof, and the altar of incense;
28. And the altar of burnt-offering and all the vessels thereof, and the laver and its base.
29. And thou shalt sanctify them, and they shall be a holy of holies; whosoever toucheth them shall be made holy.
30. And thou shalt anoint Aaron and his sons, and shalt sanctify them, to minister to Me in the priest's office.
31. And thou shalt speak unto the sons of Israel, saying, This shall be to Me an oil of anointing of holiness to your generations.
32. Upon the flesh of man shall it not be poured; and in the quality thereof ye shall not make any like it; holy is this; holy
shall it be to you.
33. The man who shall make ointment like it, and who shall put of it upon a stranger, even he shall be cut off from his peoples.
34. And Jehovah said unto Moses, Take to thee fragrant spices, stacte, and onycha, and galbanum, things fragrant, and pure frankincense, so much in so much shall it be.
35. And thou shalt make it incense, an ointment the work of a perfumer, salted, pure, holy.
36. And thou shalt bruise of it small, and shalt put it before the Testimony in the Tent of meeting, whither I will come to meet thee, a holy of holies shall it be to you.
37. And the incense which thou makest in its quality, ye shall not make for yourselves; holy to Jehovah shall it be to thee.
38. The man who shall make like unto it, to make an odor with it, even he shall be cut off from his peoples.
10175a. THE CONTENTS.
The subjects treated of in this chapter are the altar of incense; the expiation of everyone by means of silver; the laver and the washing from it; and the preparation of the oil of anointing, and of the incense. In the internal sense by "burning incense" is signified the hearing and reception by the Lord of all things of the worship which is from love and charity; by "the expiation of everyone by means of silver," is signified the ascription of all things of worship to the Lord, and nothing to self, that no one may have merit. By "the laver and the washing" is signified purification from evils first in all worship. By "the preparation of the oil of anointing" is signified the quality of the love in worship; and by "the preparation of the incense," the quality of the worship from it.