10597. The Word teaches that man lives after death, as where it is said that "God is not the God of the dead but of the living" (Matt 22:32); that after death Lazarus was taken up into heaven, but the rich man was cast into hell (Luke 16:22, 23); that Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob are there (Matt. 8:11; 22:32; Luke 16:23-25, 29); that Jesus said to the thief, "This day shalt thou be with Me in paradise" (Luke 23:43); and in other places.
1. And Jehovah said unto Moses, Hew thee two tables of stones like the former ones, and I will write upon the tables the words that were upon the former tables, which thou brakest.
2. And be thou ready against the morning, and come up in the morning unto Mount Sinai, and stand for Me there on the head of the mountain.
3. And no man shall come up with thee, and moreover no man shall be seen in all the mountain; and no flock or herd shall feed over against this mountain.
4. And he hewed two tables of stones like the former ones, and Moses rose up early in the morning, and went up unto Mount Sinai, as Jehovah commanded him, and took in his hand the two tables of stones.
5. And Jehovah descended in the cloud, and stood with him there, and called on the name of Jehovah.
6. And Jehovah passed by over his faces, and called, Jehovah, Jehovah, God, merciful and gracious, long-suffering with angers, and great in goodness and in truth.
7. Keeping goodness unto thousands, bearing iniquity, and transgression, and sin; and in absolving will not absolve; visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the sons, and upon the sons' sons, upon the thirds and upon the fourths.
8. And Moses made haste, and bowed himself to the earth, and adored.
9. And he said, If, I pray, I have found grace in Thine eyes O Lord, let the Lord, I pray, go in the midst of us; for it is a stiffnecked people; and be propitious unto our iniquity and unto our sin, and make us Thine inheritance.
10. And he said, Behold I make a covenant; before all thy people I will do wonderful things, such as have not been created in all the earth, and in all nations; and all the people in the midst of whom thou art shall see the work of Jehovah, because this is a wonderful thing that I do with thee.
11. Keep thou that which I command thee this day; behold, I drive out from thy faces the Amorite, and the Canaanite, and the Hittite, and the Perizzite, and the Hivite, and the Jebusite.
12. Take heed to thyself, lest perchance thou make a covenant with the inhabitant of the land upon which thou comest, lest perchance it become a snare in the midst of thee.
13. Wherefore ye shall overturn their altars, and shall break their pillars, and shall cut down their groves.
14. Wherefore thou shalt not bow thyself to another god; for Jehovah, whose name is Jealous, a jealous God is He.
15. Lest perchance thou make a covenant with the inhabitant of the land, and they commit whoredom after their gods, and sacrifice to their gods, and one call thee, and thou eat of his sacrifice.
16. And thou take of his daughters for thy sons, and his daughters commit whoredom after their gods, and make thy sons commit whoredom after their gods.
17. Thou shalt not make for thee molten gods.
18. The feast of unleavened things shalt thou keep. Seven days thou shalt eat unleavened things, as I commanded thee, at the time appointed of the month Abib; because in the month Abib thou wentest forth from Egypt.
19. Everything that openeth the womb is Mine; and of all thy cattle thou shalt give the male, that openeth of ox and of small cattle.
20. And that which openeth of an ass thou shalt redeem with a lamb; and if thou wilt not redeem it, thou shalt break its neck. Every firstborn of thy sons thou shalt redeem. And My faces shall not be seen empty.
21. Six days thou shalt work, and on the seventh day thou shall rest; in plowing and in harvest thou shalt rest.
22. And the feast of weeks thou shalt make to thee of the firstfruits of wheat harvest, and the feast of ingathering at the revolving of the year.
23. Three times in the year shall every male of thine be seen before the faces of the Lord Jehovah, the God of Israel.
24. Because I drive out nations from thy faces, and I will enlarge thy border; and no one shall covet thy land, when thou goest up to see the faces of Jehovah thy God three times in the year.
25. Thou shalt not slay the blood of My sacrifice upon what is leavened; and the sacrifice of the feast of the passover shall not stay all night unto the morning.
26. The firstfruits of the first things of thy ground thou shalt bring into the house of Jehovah thy God. Thou shalt not seethe a kid in its mother's milk.
27. And Jehovah said unto Moses, Write for thee these words; because upon the mouth of these words I make a covenant with thee and with Israel.
28. And he was there with Jehovah forty days and forty nights; he did not eat bread, and he did not drink water. And he wrote upon the tables the words of the covenant, the ten words.
29. And it was, as Moses went down from Mount Sinai, and the two tables of the Testimony in Moses' hand, as he went down from the mountain, that Moses knew not that the skin of his faces shone when he spoke with Him.
30. And Aaron and all the sons of Israel saw Moses, and behold the skin of his faces shone; and they feared to come near unto him.
31. And Moses called unto them; and Aaron and all the princes in the assemblage returned unto him; and Moses spoke unto them.
32. And afterward all the sons of Israel came near; and he commanded them all things that Jehovah bad spoken with him in Mount Sinai.
33. And Moses left off from speaking with them, and he put a veil upon his faces.
34. And when Moses entered in before Jehovah to speak with Him, he removed the veil until he went out; and he went out, and spoke unto the sons of Israel that which was commanded.
35. And the sons of Israel saw the faces of Moses, that the skin of Moses' faces shone; and Moses drew back the veil upon his faces until he entered in to speak with Him.