323. At the end of the chapter, several examples will be given of those who during their abode in this world had thought otherwise.
1. And the man knew Eve his wife, and she conceived, and bare Cain, and said, I have gotten a man [vir], Jehovah.
2. And she added to bear his brother Abel; and Abel was a shepherd of the flock, and Cain was a tiller of the ground.
3. And at the end of days it came to pass that Cain brought of the fruit of the ground an offering to Jehovah.
4. And Abel, he also brought of the firstlings of his flock, and of the fat thereof. And Jehovah looked to Abel, and to his offering:
5. And unto Cain and unto his offering He looked not, and Cain's anger was kindled exceedingly, and his faces fell.
6. And Jehovah said unto Cain, Why art thou wroth? and why are thy faces fallen?
7. If thou doest well, art thou not exalted? and if thou doest not well, sin lieth at the door; and to thee is his desire, and thou rulest over him.
8. And Cain talked to Abel his brother; and it came to pass when they were in the field, that Cain rose up against Abel his brother, and slew him.
9. And Jehovah said to Cain, Where is Abel thy brother? And he said, I know not, am I my brother's keeper?
10. And He said, What hast thou done? the voice of thy brother's bloods crieth to Me from the ground.
11. And now art thou cursed from the ground, which hath opened its mouth to receive thy brother's bloods from thy hand.
12. When thou tillest the ground, it shall not henceforth yield unto thee its strength; a fugitive and a wanderer shalt thou be in the earth.
13. And Cain said unto Jehovah, Mine iniquity is greater than can be taken away.
14. Behold, Thou hast cast me out this day from the faces of the ground; and from Thy faces shall I be hid, and I shall be a fugitive and a wanderer in the earth; and it shall come to pass that everyone that findeth me shall slay me.
15. And Jehovah said unto him, Therefore whosoever slayeth Cain, vengeance shall be taken on him sevenfold. And Jehovah set a mark upon Cain, lest any finding him should smite him.
16. And Cain went out from the faces of Jehovah, and dwelt in the land of Nod, toward the east of Eden.
17. And Cain knew his wife, and she conceived and bare Enoch; and he was building a city, and called the name of the city after the name of his son, Enoch.
18. And unto Enoch was born Irad; and Irad begat Mehujael; and Mehujael begat Methusael; and Methusael begat Lamech.
19. And Lamech took unto him two wives; the name of the one was Adah, and the name of the other Zillah.
20. And Adah bare Jabal; he was the father of the dweller in tents, and of cattle.
21. And his brother's name was Jubal; he was the father of everyone that playeth upon the harp and organ.
22. And Zillah, she also bare Tubal-Cain, an instructor of every artificer in brass and iron; and the sister of Tubal-Cain was Naamah.
23. And Lamech said unto his wives, Adah and Zillah, Hear my voice, ye wives of Lamech, and with your ears perceive my speech, for I have slain a man to my wounding, and a little one to my hurt.
24. If Cain shall be avenged sevenfold, truly Lamech seventy and sevenfold.
25. And the man knew his wife again, and she bare a son, and called his name Seth; for God hath appointed me another seed instead of Abel; for Cain slew him.
26. And to Seth, to him also there was born a son; and he called his name Enosh: then began they to call upon the name of Jehovah.