4959. The reason why the Lord says these things of Himself is that He is in those who are such, and therefore He also says:
Verily I say unto you, Insofar as ye have done it to one of the least of these My brethren, ye have done it to Me (Matt. 25:40).
1. And Joseph was brought down to Egypt; and Potiphar bought him, Pharaoh's chamberlain, prince of the guards, an Egyptian man, of the hand of the Ishmaelites, who had brought him down thither.
2. And Jehovah was with Joseph, and he was a prosperous man; and he was in the house of his lord the Egyptian.
3. And his lord saw that Jehovah was with him, and that Jehovah made all that he did to prosper in his hand.
4. And Joseph found grace in his eyes, and he ministered to him; and he set him over his house, and all that he had he gave into his hand.
5. And it came to pass from the time that he set him over in his house, and over all that he had, that Jehovah blessed the Egyptian's house for Joseph's sake; and the blessing of Jehovah was in all that he had, in the house and in the field.
6. And he left all that he had in Joseph's hand; and he knew not aught that was with him, save the bread which he did eat. And Joseph was beautiful in form, and beautiful in look.
7. And it came to pass after these words that his lord's wife lifted up her eyes to Joseph, and she said, Lie with me.
8. And he refused, and said unto his lord's wife, Behold, my lord knoweth not what is with me in the house, and all that he hath he hath given into my hand.
9. He is not greater in this house than I; and he hath not withheld from me anything but thee, because thou art his wife; and how shall I do this great evil, and sin to God?
10. And it came to pass as she spake to Joseph day by day, that he hearkened not unto her, to lie by her, to be with her.
11. And it came to pass on a certain day when he went into the house to do his work; and no man of the men of the house was there in the house.
12. And she caught hold of him in his garment, saying, Lie with me; and he left his garment in her hand, and fled, and got him out.
13. And it came to pass when she saw that he had left his garment in her hand, and was fled forth,
14. That she cried unto the men of her house, and spake unto them, saying, See, he hath brought us a Hebrew man to mock us; he came to me to lie with me, and I cried with a great voice;
15. And it came to pass when he heard that I lifted up my voice and cried, that he left his garment by me, and fled, and got him out.
16. And she laid up his garment by her, until his lord came to his house.
17. And she spake unto him according to these words, saying, The Hebrew servant whom thou hast brought unto us, came unto me to mock me;
18. And it came to pass, as I lifted up my voice and cried, that he left his garment by me, and fled out.
19. And it came to pass when his lord heard the words of his wife, which she spake unto him, saying, According to these words did thy servant to me; that his anger was kindled.
20. And Joseph's lord took him, and put him into the prison house, the place where the king's bound ones were bound; and he was there in the prison house.
21. And Jehovah was with Joseph, and inclined mercy unto him, and gave him grace in the eyes of the prince of the prison house.
22. And the prince of the prison house gave into Joseph's hand all the bound ones that were in the prison house; and whatsoever they did there, he was the doer.
23. The prince of the prison house saw naught of anything that was in his hand, because Jehovah was with him; and that which he did, Jehovah made it to prosper.