8257. By the life through which the Lord is chiefly worshiped, is meant a life according to His injunctions in the Word, for by these man is acquainted with what faith is and what charity is: this life is the Christian life, and is called spiritual life. But a life according to the laws of what is just and honorable, without that life, is a civil and a moral life: this life makes a man to be a citizen of the world; but the other to be a citizen of heaven.
1. Then sang Moses and the sons of Israel this song to Jehovah, and they said, saying, I will sing to Jehovah because exalting He hath exalted; the horse and his rider hath He cast into the sea.
2. My strength and song is Jah, and He hath been my salvation; this is my God, and I will prepare Him a habitation; my father's God, and I will exalt Him.
3. Jehovah is a man of war; Jehovah is His name.
4. Pharaoh's chariots and his army He hath cast into the sea: and the choice of the tertian captains are sunk in the sea Suph.
5. The abysses have covered them; they went down into the depths like a stone.
6. Thy right hand, O Jehovah, is magnified in strength; with Thy right hand, O Jehovah, Thou breakest in pieces the enemy.
7. And in the multitude of Thine excellency Thou destroyest those who are rising up against Thee; Thou sendest forth Thy wrath, it devoureth them as stubble.
8. And with the wind of Thy nostrils the waters were heaped up, the floods stood as a heap; the abysses were congealed in the heart of the sea.
9. The enemy said, I will pursue, I will overtake, I will divide the spoil; my soul shall be filled with them; I will draw my sword, my hand shall drive them out.
10. Thou didst blow with Thy wind, the sea covered them; they sought the deep like lead in the vast waters.
11. Who is like Thee, O Jehovah, among the gods? Who is like Thee, magnificent in holiness, to be revered with praises, doing what is wonderful?
12. Thou stretchedst out Thy right hand, the earth swallowed them.
13. In Thy mercy Thou hast led the people that Thou hast redeemed; Thou hast conducted them in Thy strength to the habitation of Thy holiness.
14. The peoples have heard, they have trembled; pain hath laid hold of the inhabitants of Philistia.
15. Then were the chiefs of Edom dismayed; the mighty ones of Moab, terror hath laid hold of them; all the inhabitants of Canaan are melted.
16. Fright and dread are fallen upon them; in the greatness of Thine arm they shall be destroyed as a stone, until Thy people shall pass over, O Jehovah, until shall pass over this people which Thou hast taken possession of.
17. Thou shalt bring them in, Thou shalt plant them in the mountain of Thine inheritance, in the place Thou hast wrought for Thee to dwell, O Jehovah, the sanctuary, O Lord, Thy hands have prepared.
18. Jehovah shall reign forever and to eternity.
19. Because the horse of Pharaoh came with his chariot and with his horsemen into the sea, and Jehovah brought back the waters of the sea upon them; and the sons of Israel went on the dry through the midst of the sea.
20. And Miriam the prophetess, the sister of Aaron, took a timbrel in her hand, and all the women went out after her with timbrels and with dances.
21. And Miriam answered to them, Sing ye to Jehovah, because exalting He hath exalted; the horse and his rider hath He cast into the sea.
22. And Moses made Israel set out from the sea Suph, and they went out to the wilderness of Shur; and they went three days in the wilderness, and found no waters.
23. And they came to Marah, and they could not drink the waters for bitterness, because they were bitter; therefore he called the name thereof Marah.
24. And the people murmured against Moses, saying, What shall we drink?
25. And he cried unto Jehovah, and Jehovah showed him a piece of wood, and he cast it to the waters, and the waters were made sweet. There He set for him a statute and a judgment, and there He tempted him;
26. And He said, If hearing thou wilt hear the voice of Jehovah thy God, and wilt do what is right in His eyes, and wilt hearken to His commandments, and wilt keep all His statutes, all the diseases that I have put on the Egyptians, I will not put upon thee, because I am Jehovah thy healer.
27. And they came to Elim, and there were twelve springs of waters there, and seventy palm trees; and they encamped there by the waters.