9803. From this it is evident that to be intelligent and wise does not consist in understanding and being wise about many things of the world; but in understanding and willing the things of heaven. For there are those who understand and are wise about many things of the world, and yet do not believe or will the things of heaven; thus are insane. These are they of whom the Lord says:
I speak by parables; because seeing they see not, and hearing they hear not, neither do they understand (Matt. 13:13).
The world cannot receive the Spirit of truth, because it seeth Him not, neither knoweth Him (John 14:17).
1. And thou shalt cause to draw near unto thee Aaron thy brother, and his sons with him, from the midst of the sons of Israel, that he may minister in the priest's office to Me, Aaron, Nadab and Abihu, Eleazar and Ithamar, Aaron's sons.
2. And thou shalt make garments of holiness for Aaron thy brother, for glory and for comeliness.
3. And thou shalt speak unto all the wise in heart, whom I have filled with the spirit of wisdom, and they shall make Aaron's garments to sanctify him, that he may minister to Me in the priest's office.
4. And these are the garments which they shall make; a breastplate, and an ephod, and a robe, and a tunic of checker work, a miter, and a belt; and they shall make garments of holiness for Aaron thy brother, and for his sons, that he may minister to Me in the priest's office.
5. And they shall take the gold, and the blue, and the crimson, and the scarlet double-dyed, and the fine linen.
6. And they shall make the ephod of gold, of blue and crimson, of scarlet double-dyed and fine twined linen, with the work of a thinker.*
7. It shall have two shoulders joined at the two extremities thereof; and it shall be joined together.
8. And the girdle of his ephod, which is upon it, according to the work thereof, shall be from it; of gold, of blue and crimson, and scarlet double-dyed and fine twined linen.
9. And thou shalt take two onyx stones, and engrave on them the names of the sons of Israel.
10. Six of their names on the one stone, and the names of the six that remain on the other stone, according to their generations.
11. With the work of a worker in stone, with the engravings of a signet, shalt thou engrave the two stones, according to the names of the sons of Israel; encompassed with settings of gold shalt thou make them.
12. And thou shalt put the two stones upon the shoulders of the ephod, to be stones of remembrance for the sons of Israel; and Aaron shall bear their names before Jehovah upon his two shoulders for a remembrance.
13. And thou shalt make settings of gold.
14. And two chains of pure gold; from their borders shalt thou make them, with cord-work; and thou shalt put the chains of cords on the settings.
15. And thou shalt make a breastplate of judgment, with the work of a thinker;* like the work of the ephod thou shalt make it; of gold, of blue and crimson, and scarlet double-dyed and fine twined linen, shalt thou make it.
16. Foursquare it shall be, doubled; a span the length thereof, and a span the breadth thereof.
17. And thou shalt fill it with a filling of stone, four rows of stone; a row, a ruby, a topaz, and a carbuncle, row one;
18. And the second row, a chrysoprase, a sapphire, and a diamond;
19. And the third row, a cyanus, an agate, and an amethyst;
20. And the fourth row, a tarshish [beryl], and an onyx, and a jasper; they shall be enclosed in gold in their fillings.
21. And the stones shall be upon the names of the sons of Israel, twelve, upon their names; with the engravings of a signet, for everyone upon his name, they shall be for the twelve tribes.
22. And thou shalt make upon the breastplate chains of the border with cord-work, of pure gold.
23. And thou shalt make upon the breastplate two rings of gold, and shalt put the two rings on the two extremities of the breastplate.
24. And thou shalt put the two cords of gold on the two rings at the extremities of the breastplate.
25. And the two extremities of the two cords thou shalt put on the two settings, and shalt put them on the shoulders of the ephod over against the faces thereof.
26. And thou shalt make two rings of gold, and thou shalt put them upon the two extremities of the breastplate, upon the edge thereof, which is toward the side of the ephod inward.
27. And thou shalt make two rings of gold; and shalt put them on the two shoulders of the ephod underneath, over against its faces, opposite to the joining thereof, above the girdle of the ephod.
28. And they shall bind the breastplate by the rings thereof unto the rings of the ephod with a thread of blue, that it may be upon the girdle of the ephod, and that the breastplate withdraw not from upon the ephod.
29. And Aaron shall carry the names of the sons of Israel in the breastplate of judgment upon his heart, when he goeth in unto the holiness, for a remembrance before Jehovah continually.
30. And thou shalt put unto the breastplate of judgment the Urim and the Thummim; and they shall be upon Aaron's heart, when he goeth in before Jehovah; and Aaron shall carry the judgment of the sons of Israel upon his heart before Jehovah continually.
31. And thou shalt make the robe of the ephod all of blue.
32. And there shall be a mouth of the head of it in the midst thereof; there shall be a lip for the mouth of it round about, the work of the weaver, as the mouth of a coat of mail it shall be, that it be not rent.
33. And upon the skirts of it thou shalt make pomegranates of blue, and of crimson, and of scarlet double-dyed, upon the skirts thereof round about; and bells of gold in the midst of them round about.
34. A bell of gold and a pomegranate, a bell of gold and a pomegranate, upon the skirts of the robe round about.
35. And it shall be upon Aaron to minister; and the voice thereof shall be heard when he goeth in unto the holiness before Jehovah, and when he goeth out, that he die not.
36. And thou shalt make a plate of pure gold, and engrave upon it with the engravings of a signet, Holiness to Jehovah.
37. And thou shalt put it upon a thread of blue, and it shall be upon the miter; over against the faces of the miter it shall be.
38. And it shall be upon Aaron's forehead, and Aaron shall bear the iniquity of the holy things, which the sons of Israel shall sanctify in respect to all the gifts of their holy things; and it shall be upon his forehead continually, to make them well-pleasing before Jehovah.
39. And thou shalt checker the tunic of fine linen, and thou shalt make a miter of fine linen, and a belt thou shalt make with the work of the embroiderer.
40. And for Aaron's sons thou shalt make tunics, and thou shalt make for them belts; and tiaras shalt thou make for them, for glory and for comeliness.
41. And thou shalt put them on Aaron thy brother, and on his sons with him; and shalt anoint them, and fill their hand, and shalt sanctify them, and they shall minister to Me in the priest's office.
42. And thou shalt make for them breeches of linen to cover the flesh of nakedness; from the loins even unto the thighs they shall be.
43. And they shall be upon Aaron, and upon his sons, when they go in unto the Tent of meeting, or when they come near unto the altar to minister in the holiness; lest they bear iniquity, and die: it is a statute of an age to him and to his seed after him.
* skilled craftsman